Bursitis can be quite the bothersome ailment! So—what is it, what causes it, and how can PT help?
What is Bursitis?
Bursitis is the inflammation of the fluid-filled pads (bursae) that act as cushions for the bones, tendons and muscles near your joints. Bursitis occurs when bursae become inflamed and most commonly occurs in the shoulder, elbow and hip.
What Causes Bursitis?
- Most often by repetitive motions or overuse
- Direct, minor impact on the area
- Repeated bumping or prolonged pressure
- Less often from a sudden, more serious injury.
How can PT help?
A physical therapist can provide various exercises to:
- Strengthen muscles to prevent pain
- Reduce pain and swelling
- Improve range of motion/flexibility
- Improve posture
- Learn a home exercise program
As musculoskeletal experts, physical therapists are well-equipped to develop individualized programs to tailor exercises for each patient. Call today to schedule an appointment at one of our three locations in Coatesville, Downingtown and West Chester and get back to healthier, pain-free living!