Commonly misunderstood as a diagnosis for jaw pain, the abbreviation “TMJ” actually stands for TemporoMandibular Joint, which is where the temple and the mandible meet to form your jaw joint. When it becomes dysfunctional, it is appropriately termed TMJD (TemporoMandibular Joint Dysfunction) or just TMD (TemporoMandibular Dysfunction).
Overview of Our TMJ Assessment:
- Posture Analysis
- Assess upper and lower c-spine mobility
- Palpate head, neck and jaw musculature
- Strength test lips, cheeks, tongue and jaw muscles
- Measure jaw motion and observe tracking
- Classify whether or not the joint is involved